Thursday, May 24, 2007

Adventures in San Diego

We arrived back to reality on Tuesday morning at 1:00 am. The week has been as busy as ever since returning and sadly our trip to San Diego is almost a blurr. Good thing for lots of pictures!

Birch and I had a wonderful time in San Diego. I LOVED not having a schedule and just being able to spend time with myself and with Birch.

We had to take this shot in memory of one we took during our engagement period. Ten and half years and five kids later we couldn't imagine how much more we would love each other.
We ate lots of yummy food and I only did the dishes once! Like the good coupon clipper that I am, I had printed off lots of restaurant coupons for San Diego prior to the trip so it helped keep the dining costs down. This picture was taken at the Boat House restaurant on Harbor Island.

I loved all the time to myself. It was the perfect combination for me. The first two and half days I was on my own. We had the evenings together but during the day I slept in, watched a movie, read two books ("Dear John" by Nicolas Sparks and "Where the heart lies" by Cindy Woodsmall), and took long showers. Once Birch got home I was ready to go party!!

Friday evening we picked up our rental car and went to the San Diego temple. It was just a gorgeous as all the pictures we had seen. It was wonderful to be there together and remind us of the plan of happiness.
Much of our time together was spent walking on the beaches. My only grumble about the trip would be that it was warmer in Yakima than it was in San Diego. With the ocean breeze and overcast "May Grey" weather I didn't come home with a tan.
This picture was taken on the Mission Bay walkway. We had fun watching the surfers try to catch the waves.
My handsome husband!
One night we decided to be adventuresome and go to Belmont Park, which is the home of an OLD WOODEN roller coaster. I think it had been twenty years since I had ridden a roller coaster.
From the shear tear in my face you can see why it will be another twenty!
Birch was somehow able to hold his arm steady enough to take these pictures. I am sure it won't surprise you that the next two days I had a very stiff and painful neck. The kids thought we were really cool for going on the Belmont Park Roller Coaster (see behind us).
Many of you emailed suggestions of books for Birch to read. I got all of them from the library and then had Birch pick out two to take with us. He only read one but LOVED it!! It was great to see him enjoy reading. The winner was Emily, who recommended "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. The only problem was I had finished all my books when Birch was still enveloped in his--next trip I will have to bring a couple of extra books for me.
Saturday we went to the Kobay Swap Meet. It wasn't that great--mostly recycled junk! After we went to Coronado Island. Behind us is the famous Hotel Del of Coronado. It has been around since the 1800's and is still in use today.
Enjoying the sand at Coronado Island.
Sunday we went to Old Town to walk around. There is a very informative visiting center about the Mormon Battalion. Birch and I really enjoyed watching the movie about all the Mormon Battalion did to help set up San Diego and the wagon trails. It is truly amazing!!! Birch and I dressed up in the pioneer wear for an authentic picture.
Monday morning we headed to La Jolla for a ocean kayaking adventure. Knowing that I am not a very adventuresome or athletic person helps you all appreciate this adventure. It was probably about 60 degrees and the water in San Diego is certainly NOT warm. Despite this chilly conditions it was probably one the favorite things that Birch and I did on the trip. We saw seven caves, sea lions, lots of kelp, and tons of pelicans. I am so grateful that we rented a double kayak so I could rest when my arms started burning. Kayak surfing is quite an adventure!!!Our last stop of Torrey Pines State Park. Honestly it wasn't really that awesome. Maybe that is because my legs still were frozen from the kayaking adventure?

It was a long flight back but savored every minute. Birch was able to finish his book and I read a short read called "The Christmas Jar" by Jason F. Wright. I highly recommend it. We had such a wonderful time together. When we arrived home the house was all in order and the kids were sawing logs. We're so grateful for my mom's willingness to care for our kids. What would we do without our mommies?

13 comments:

Cami said...

What a fun trip. I'm so glad that you got that time together. You look so rested!

Emily and Ryan said...

I almost peed my pants laughing at the pictures of you on the rollar coaster- that was so funny Sara. Good work Birch. Your kids will really enjoy those pictures later on.

It looks like you had a fantastic time. Can we go on vacation with you guys next time? You plan out such fun things.

Cami said...

I forgot, I love the feet in your title.

Julia said...

It looks like you guys had a great time. When was the last time you had so many photos taken together. What a dream trip and it looks like you hit all of the great spots. Isn't the Coronado hotel amazing??? That beach is a dream too. We are going next weekend -- with the kiddos though. I am so glad you guys had fun. So what trip will you be taking in the next 10 years?

Leah said...

Ok, I DID pee my pants at those pictures of you Sara. Seriously, I'm wiping my eyes right now!

Mama Nirvana said...

Sara, I'm so glad you got away. You two look as cute as you did when you got married! I LOVED the pictures.

Amy

kg said...

I love, love, love that top photo of you guys! Such a beautiful couple...Sara you look so great in all these. I'm still laughing at the roller coaster pics still. Looks like you did a lot and had a great time!

Emily and Ryan said...

Oh I forgot to mention the fact that I WON the book choice. Did you like it Birch? I was wondering what my prize is.... maybe something like what mom and dad would bring home when I'd babysit like an avacado or jar of pickles? Remember that?

Nancy Clark said...

looks like you had a great time. good job trying some new things, even if it was just so you could entertain us with the photos!

meta said...

Your vacation looks relaxing, exciting, suprising, and full of happiness. welcome back to 'real' life, eh? I'm sure your kids missed you guys dearly.

Matt and Jessica said...

I believe I introduced Emi to that book, so let's give credit where credit is due. I'm also glad to see that my sisters have no bladder control...still....

Kimball & Marianne Larsen said...

That first picture is AWESOME! I'm sure you'll have that framed in your home somewhere. The colors, pose and faces are just perfect! We're so glad you have such a great time.

Logan said...

Looks like a fun trip! I think the photos of Sara on the roller coaster could probably be marketed and made famous...the level of terror in your eyes is truly priceless.