Saturday, July 7, 2007

Oregon Bash

Last Thursday evening we all loaded in the car and headed for my ol' stompin' ground Corvallis, Oregon. My family was all gathering for a joint wedding bash for my sister, Emily and brother, Seth. Both of whom got married this past December to amazing people. Since they both married far from "home" they decided that it would be fun to have a summer celebration after they both had a break in their schooling and jobs.

Probably my favorite part of this vacation was being able to actually spend TIME with my immediate family, especially my new one month old baby niece, Lucy, and sister-in-laws and brother-in-law. It seems like most of the time we are together we are all so busy preparing for whatever the event is--that we don't actually get to just hang out. It was also fun spending time with my youngest brother Luke. He is a kid magnet!
The wedding celebration turned out to be an awesome way to have a family reunion as well. Both sides of my family came together for a super fun weekend. Many of my extended family members have not been together for a looooooooong time. As you can imagine, my parents put a lot of work into making everything come together (we ate like kings--well, vegetarian Kings--God seemed to have left out the vegetable taste buds on my tongue).
Cooper had a great time exploring and did surprisingly well being passed around from extended family members that he has not met before.Not only was there a wonderful spread of food at the wedding bash but there was also slack lining, croquet, trampoline jumping, and volleyball games going on.

After the wedding celebration died down my immediate family headed for the Oregon Coast. We spent the most splendid day at Agate Beach in Newport, Oregon. I have lived close to ten years in Oregon and I think I have only been to the beach on such a wonderfully warm and NON-windy day maybe once. I came dressed in jeans, a sweatshirt, and tennis shoes. It didn't take long for all of us to start striping down layers. Cooper loved crawling all over and eating the sand.Alex tried and became addicted to skim boarding. He reminded me of my brothers--they all went through a phase of skim boarding and even crafted several which are still in use today.
Tyler loved jumping the waves and building sand castles.
This is a shot of my mom (the first gorgeous lady on the left--I only tell you because she is often confused as being a sister), Caroline (Seth's 4.5 month pregnant, awesome, bilingual wife--yeah, so excited), Leah (gifted mother of a cute 2.5 year old and 1 month old princess), ME, Emily (eternal student, favorite auntie, and crafty woman just married to Ryan) and Jessica (married to my older brother Matt--also super duper crafty, amazing home decorator, and beautiful person).
Following our day at the beach, my mom and two of my sisters and I headed for the Lincoln City Outlets. We had a wonderful evening shopping and spending time together. I am really grateful for Caroline who offered to take Cooper home and ended up having to change a horrendous diaper (without wipes) and get all the sand and sunscreen out of his hair.

Birch, my dad, and the rest of the kids went south to Waldport, Oregon and camped on the beach. It has been a tradition the past three years for the kids to go on a camping trip with Poppi. We weren't sure how it was going to work this year with all the festivities but they worked it in. The kids had a great time!
The kids had a fabulous time building sand castles and playing in the sand.
Alysee loved going to the tide pools and finding all sorts of neat sea creatures. Her favorite was the star fish.On the Fourth of July we enjoyed a yummy breakfast at a church celebration and then we were off to Otter Beach, an outdoor aquatic swim pool and play center in Corvallis. We all had the best of time!! Cooper had never been swimming before and was quite nervous for the first hour. By the end he was splashing and having a great time.

It was so nice having lots of adults to help with the kids. I find it overwhelming to take the kids by myself (or even with Birch) swimming. After swimming for a couple of hours we changed our clothes and piled in the car for a long trip home. We made it just in time to unload the car and go to the fire works. We were all exhausted by the end of the day--but I wouldn't have changed anything about our trip. It was a wonderful vacation!

8 comments:

Korean Hales said...

How fun. Your family is so fabulous. Lots of adventure for you all this summer.

Emily and Ryan said...

Great condensed post of the weekend, Sara! That picture of your kiddies on the beach w/ Birch and Dad is hillarious- Nate and Tyler always make the funniest faces!

kgditto said...

What can I say - WOW! Sara, loved your blog!! It is amazing! The video of Lysee's pictures is fabulous - great job Leah! Thanks for sharing the family's fun.... love to all.......... mom d

Matt's Blog said...

It was so fun to spend some quality time together and play with the kids. You guys are great!

Leah said...

Wow, that was a great condensed version of a fabulous trip. I'm bummed I missed Otter Beach, that looks like it was super fun!

Mama Nirvana said...

It sounds like the perfect trip! Spending time with family, just hanging out, is one of life's greatest pleasures. It definitely is tricky finding the time when most gatherings are surrounded by "events" that require lots of effort. I loved reading about your fun time!

Amy

Duludes said...

Looks like tons of fun. We have been diving into having family here and staying up way to late. I leave to girls camp in the morning but, sad I don't get to do the whole week as my family reunion officially starts thursday in Leavenworth. When thats done we will head of to Moses Lake for my parents 40th wedding anniversary. Its going to be a awsome week. Your post got me all excited. Your kids are growing so fast.

Cami said...

What a great time! I'm sorry that we missed you this weekend. Definitely the next time.