Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ditto Demolition Part I

This weekend is the beginning of a long awaited exciting project--KITCHEN DEMOLITION! We already tackled the tile backsplash and have a few dry wall repairs that need to happen now. The kitchen sink, which proved to be quite the challenge was removed the other night. The gas cook top is safely put away in the shop. So out with the old turquoise kitchen and bring on the rich cocoa brown. We are going to Spokane this weekend to have fun at an indoor waterpark. While we are gone the new countertops will be installed. Monday we will put in our new granite sink and finalize what we are doing with the floor. This next weekend we are so grateful that my parents are going to come up and help us with refinishing the cabinets. Then we will conquer the tile backsplash (something we have never done and are a little nervous to do). I've found killer deals on ebay for everything from the travertine tile, granite sink, faucet, cabinet knobs, and sink stainers. Such an exciting time at our house!!
The old cast iron sink proved to be throughly stuck to the countertop. Birch tried using the car jack to get it unstuck but finally what worked was hammering a screwdriver around the outside edge and then using a crow bar. Good thing we had already planned on replacing the sink because now we have quite a few chips to the outside of our old sink. The sink was SO heavy that I made a 10 pm emergency call to a friend with more muscles than me to come help Birch pull the sink out. This is me in Alex's costume glasses. I figured it was important to protect my eyes from the flying tile pieces.

Stayed tuned for part II.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Great action shots! LOVE the glasses!

Leah said...

SOOO excited for you guys. You're going to be SO happy with it I just know it.

Annie Ditto said...

That's so exciting!! I can't wait to see the pictures when it's done! Great Work!! I did my own back splash...so if I can offer any advice/help let me know! It wasn't a hard project though, I'm sure you'll tackle it just fine!!

Sweet Peas Doula said...

Loved all of your posts, and I will be excited to see how your kitchen turns out. I think we are going to try and paint our tile.

Amy

emily said...

I can't wait to see the pictures! I couldn't find you in the Where's Sara picture- nice disguise!

Cami said...

So exciting!! Can't wait to see the final result.

kg said...

Can't wait to see the finished product! Love the glasses :)

meta said...

Good luck!!! I survived living w/o a kitchen for a few months while we remodeled our place in Orem. It wasn't so bad but we had NO children at the time!

Can't wait to see the new one - you deserve it!! :)

Keri said...

What? You are taking out the turquoise?? I am sure it will be beautiful and you will love it when it's all done!

Anonymous said...

Nice Glasses!IT fits rite in with your black shirt!--Alex