Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ditto's Pharmacy

Since this is our family journal/scrapbook I would be totally missing out on recording what we have all been doing the past two weeks. It all started with Tyler, a fever, a bad cough, and several days of missed school. From there the lovin' was shared with Nate, Coop, and Alex. Then Alysee decided that she was feeling left out so she added ear infections to the mix of fevers and respiratory junk. Three times a day the Ditto Pharmacy was openCoop got the respiratory junk the worst out of all the kids. He had kind of a pneumonia/croup mix that made life especially fun for about eight days. His behavior was the WORST it has been since his colicky infancy days. He literally would cry a majority of the day while everyone would try and cater to him.Coop was a good sport smokin' his peace pipe (A.K.A. nebulizer breathing treatments). A couple of days ago his smile and fun personality finally came back. What a joyous day for all!!

The most memorable events of the week would be the three doctor's appointments with all five children. Oh wait, it gets better. As a side effect to all the medicines that Cooper is on his bowels seem to be working overboard and he has had bad diarrhea. It seems to hit just as we walk into the doctor's office. The second time this occurred I happened to be all out of spare diapers in the car. I left Alex and Tyler at the doctor's office and then took the other three kids to the nearby Walgreens to buy an emergency pack of diapers. As I was carrying Cooper into the store I noticed that my arm was getting wet by the diaper that was now leaking down his legs. After I paid for the diapers we headed back out to the car where I stripped down Cooper to find that not only were his overalls contaminated but also his shirt and onesee. Seeing that I have five children I don't have room in the car for extra outfits so that left Cooper with nothing to wear. All I could find on the bottom of the car floor was Nate's coat. So I cleaned Coop up the best I could and then zipped up the coat around his chilly body. Next we drove back to the doctor's office and I carried Cooper in with a blanket wrapped around his bare legs and washed myself up. We made it back just in time for Alex's doctor's appointment, which I am sure you can all imagine is really fun to attend with five little kids. I could stop whinning there but I would be lying if I didn't add how fun it was to hangout at the pharmacy's several times this week waiting to fill a plethora of prescriptions.

Okay, I am just about done. To top of the week, the most disappointing thing was not being able to go on our trip to Oregon to meet our newest nephew, his mommy and daddy and Ami and Poppi. We just didn't was to risk anyone else being a recipient of the what we call THE NASTY!!

We are all on the mend now. Gratefully, I just got a very minor manageable version of THE NASTY. Coop is smiling, everyone is again sleeping all night, back at school, and the coughs are diminishing. We sure are all grateful for healthy bodies!

8 comments:

emily a. said...

That sounds like what a version of h-e-l-l could be to me! Glad everyone's feeling better.

Nancy Clark said...

What a nightmare! That's enough to make me count my blessings!

Kimball & Marianne Larsen said...

Oh my...what a week. You will be glad you wrote all this down with all it's gory detail. As you kids get older, they will really know all you did for them. What a MOM!

Meta said...

sorry you didn't get to see the new baby and family. no way to escape the nasty!

Leah said...

Seriously, you're going straight to heaven.

Cami said...

I feel your pain about taking all of the kids to the doctors. What a week! Glad everyone is on the mend.

Julia said...

Holy NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing says "Mom of the Year" like bringing a naked baby into a doctor's office. Except you truly are Mom of the Year. How do you do it?

Julie said...

I hate bringing my kids to the doctor just because of all the germs they can pick up in the waiting area and on the toys. 1-3 year olds are the worst because they want to crawl on the floor and touch EVERYTHING.