Friday, March 14, 2008

My baby is growing up

I got a call this afternoon from Alex over his lunch break at school that really reminded me that he is growing up.

Just a little background information. Alex tried out for Little League a couple of weeks ago and has been anxiously awaiting his draft phone call. Each day he comes home from school and the first thing he asks is if the call has come yet. The decision to have Alex play Little League was really hard for me because of the time demand that it will have on ME and the rest of the family. But after much contemplation Alex was given the go-ahead from us and Birch said he did awesome at try-outs.

So back to the phone call...

Alex: Hi! Mom, it's Alex.

Mom: Are you throwing up? (That is what we have all been doing this week.)

Alex: No, I need a cup.


Mom: A cup?

Alex: Yeah, a cup. Otherwise they won't let me play. And can yo
u get it at "Kimmels," (apparently it is a sporting goods store) my friend says they are more comfortable there.

Mom: Yeah, probably not in time for the practice today but I'm sure this weekend we could get one. Love ya, bye.

I'm glad I caught on pretty quick. Just yesterday Alex was asking me when I thought he should start showering every day. He wanted to know when I started showering every day. Hum...hard to remember. I suggested that because he is more active than I was he might start earlier than me anyways. He agreed and said that he should probably just ask Dad.

Maybe I should stop by the local department store and pick up some deodorant tomorrow too!

Alex-1 year old / Alex-goofy 9.5 year old

13 comments:

emily a. said...

Funny story. I loved seeing the little Alex we all fell in love with- such a cute little guy!

kg said...

Great momment to record! Time sure flies...you're almost to those teenage years :)

Leah said...

I'm kind of freaking out that your baby is that old.

A big happy family said...

we had to buy a cup for Jacob to play t-ball! It was pretty funny actually, he's a little embarrassed about the whole thing.

A big happy family said...

I have to add that Alex totally looks like Claire in his first picture.

Mama Nirvana said...

I totally remember begging my mom for deoderant because all of the girl in 5th grade gym were using it. Your baby is no longer a baby.

Hugs,
Amy

Cami said...

Crazy when they start become this old. He is going to love that you got this written down. Won't that be fun to show is wife?

cox fam said...

Watch out! The next thing he is going to be asking for is the keys to the car. -Mama Cox

Keri said...

And then girls are going to start calling for him...

Fowler family said...

I think if my son had asked me for a cup I would have replied "why? you thirsty?".

That's so cute he asked you when you started showering daily.

KimiK said...

Can you believe 9 years has past so fast? I have a hard time remembering that I have a 9 year old. It kind of makes me feel old.
Kim mentioned the "teenage years"... Yikes! Kendrie cries when she thinks about going into YW! She tells me she wants to be 5 not 9...what do I do with that?

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

Precious! So fun that you recorded this moment. You sure are quick, too. I would _not_ have been so savvy so fast!

Meta said...

oh no! what's next??? :)