Saturday, June 21, 2008

From a Dad's Perspective...

I suppose most who have witnessed birth must feel humbled by it. Observing a child coming into the world is a very miraculous and amazing experience. This is my sixth time. While most of the procedural stuff (checking into the hospital, monitoring the baby, nurses running here and there, IV poles, etc) is familiar and even comfortable, there is nothing ordinary about holding a newborn baby.

Even though I have not personally experienced pregnancy, feeling the baby move, labor, or delivery, I have been by the side of my sweet Sara who is a champion in all regards. She is brave, compassionate, loving, calm, focused, and beautiful. During the birth of each one of our children, I have marveled at how she pays attention to every detail, seems to do everything right, and hangs in there until the end.

This time was no exception. Sara and I went to hospital at 6:00 this morning; she had an epidural at 9:45; the midwife broke the water at 10:15; and at 11:26 a.m. Chloe Ruth Ditto was announcing her presence (with a pretty good set of lungs!). Chloe weighed 6 lbs. 4 oz. and was 17 1/2 inches short. Her APGAR scores were 9 and 10 (those numbers permit a bit of bragging by a proud father). She is born on the same day as my little sister Blayre (also the sixth child and second girl).

As I take over Sara's blog for this single post, let me share my love and gratitude for her. She is an amazing woman, a caring and nurturing mother, and a fun and compassionate wife. Our children are a source of great joy, and I love each of them dearly. I love my life as a father. Sometimes I wonder why the Good Lord has blessed me so.

Lest I wax too mushy, let me add that Chloe seems to have been born with sleeping habits like her mother; with her mouth open...








Here is Sara dressed in her hospital threads, just before all the action began.





Ya gotta love that face.





Chloe seems content with her surroundings.





The happy Daddy




Sleeping soundly







WELCOME CHLOE!!


23 comments:

kg said...

Yayyy!!! Welcome sweet Chloe! She's just perfect, so glad everything went quickly and smoothly. Hugs to you all!
Kim

emily a. said...

I love her to pieces already! She's such a cutie and I love that scrunchy face. I'm so proud of you Sara although I'm going to have to forget how fast Chloe arrived as to not be jealous. :)

Leah said...

HOORAY! I am SO excited. She's beautiful. Sara, you look pretty dang good too, all tanned up and hair done. You look hot too Kenneth.

Heidi said...

Oh my goodness she is beautiful. Congratulations you guys. Birch I'm glad you wrote. It's always so nice to hear what great and true things men feel about their wife. Sara you're an exceptional person. I'm so happy for you.

Mama Nirvana said...

Congratulations, Ditto Family! I am so happy for you and glad that all went smoothly. Enjoy your time with your new little girl.

Love,
Amy

Elyse said...

Beautiful baby girl! Congrats to your family and stellar work Sara => She's just a doll. Blessings to you all!

Jason Young said...

Congrats guys!! We are so happy for you!

Mandy

Stephanie said...

Congratulations Ditto Family! What a beautiful little angel! Sara - I think MANY women would be jealous of your short labor - I'd hope by #6 they are walkin' out on their own. ;o)
She is just gorgeous!! May you get lots of rest.

Jessica said...

Yahoo!!! Chloe, you are a beauty! So happy for all of you!!!

Duludes said...

Congrats- Glad things went well and that she is here ans so cute even if she is short. Did you happen to see Amiee and Owen Packard at the hospital. They had their little baby girl Friday morning.

Summer said...

Congratulations! I'm excited for all of you, but especially for Alysee since she has a sister now!

The Cox Family said...

I can't wait to hold her. I am on my way to come and see you, Ahhhh! She is adorable!!!

The Cox Family said...

I can't wait to hold her. I am on my way to come and see you, Ahhhh! She is adorable!!!

Robyn said...

Hooray! Congratulations! She's a darling, darling girl.

Amanda said...

Yeah! Congrats! She is beautiful!!! Hope all is well and good with the whole family!

Annie Ditto said...

What a beautiful post Birch!! It made me all teary! (I am a little emotional right now thought...)
I can't wait to meet little Chloe! See you soon!!

Keri said...

She looks beautiful, can't wait to meet her! Congratulations Ditto family!!

The Cox Family said...

She is so precious. Birch, I loved everything you said in your post - you said it all so well. What an amazing family you all are!!!

The Borns said...

And the old family photo is... EXPIRED! Congratulations! She's perfect... and Birch, well said. Your wife is an amazing woman, and you are an amazing man to have noticed... Thank you for the Ditto blog! I love it, and Chloe, well what can you say... she's a Ditto!

Julie said...

Congratulations to all of you! Great work Sara! Very touching words Birch! She is beautiful! I hope you all get some needed rest now!

Julie said...

Congratulations to all of you! Great work Sara! Very touching words Birch! She is beautiful! I hope you all get some needed rest now!

A big happy family said...

Congratulations guys, we can't wait
to meet her!

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

A beautiful account, Birch. You did marry such a wonderful woman!

So glad Chloe is here and you are well!

Love, Lisa