Friday, June 13, 2008

In a daze

I know that for many the event of your children eating a new menu item wouldn't be a huge deal...but at the Ditto house when four out of five children eat something new AND don't complain it is worth remembering.

Two nights ago I was in a quandary over what to make for dinner. I had some hamburger buns but we have already eaten our far share of hamburgers and BBQ chicken sandwiches in the past couple of weeks. Hum...sloppy joes came to my mind. What a crazy thought it was since I have never really liked them and have NEVER attempted or been tempted to make them. My kids LOVE tacos; so I went to google and typed in Taco Sloppy Joes. I whipped up a batch with a very simple recipe and called them Taco Burgers (I knew the "sloppy joe" part might be an immediate turn off). As I dished them up and I could already imagine the whines and comments I was going to hear. Lo and behold after prayer they all opened their mouths and began eating the Taco Burger only to say "Mom, these are really good." I sat eating in shock the whole meal especially as Tyler (my pickiest eater) ate one and half sandwiches.

So I am passing on this recipe to you. Maybe it will be a new favorite at your household too. (I am still wondering if I were to make them again today would I get the same result?)

TACO BURGERS

sloppy joe recipe dinner
1 lb. ground beef (I used turkey burger)
1 pkt. (1-1/4 oz.) Taco Seasoning Mix
1 can tomato soup

8 hamburger buns, split

BROWN meat; drain. Add seasoning mix and soup. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally.

FILL buns with the meat mixture.

I served them with salsa, lettuce, and cheese; though most of us just had the meat mix and cheese.


Here's another tasty muffin recipe that I made for dinner last night and served up with homemade Egg McMuffins and applesauce.

Banana Crumb Muffins



INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup oil
TOPPING
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder , cinnamon, and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and oil. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
Just in case you were wondering...I'm still pregnant. I had contractions all throughout the night that kept waking me up. A nap is sounding quite "tasty" today! Next Friday should be the BIG day unless the BIG day arrives earlier than planned. Can't wait to hold this little girl and introduce her to her family!

5 comments:

The Cox Family said...

Looks yummy!! I am glad that most of your kids liked them. That means the receipe is a keeper.

Keri said...

I am gonna try these!! My pickiest eater isn't my children though, it's my husband!!! I will let you know what he thinks. :)

emily a. said...

A momentous day indeed!

Cami said...

I love those kind of meals. I was just thinking about sloppy joes the other day. I do not like them either. I'm going to have to try these. My kids also like tacos.

Julie said...

Wow- I can only imagine what it is like to get great compliments on dinner. Ryan tries to help the kids not complain or whine. They would rather live on hot dogs or ramen noodles. Syndey is my loudest complainer and has no desire to try new things!