Monday, August 25, 2008

Another year older

August is just one party month at our house!!
Birch turned 35 years old this year. His birthday was on a Sunday which we both realized as you get older it isn't quiet as painful. Growing up, Saturday, was always my favorite day to have my birthday so then I didn't have to do my Saturday jobs.
Birch celebrated his special day by enjoying yummy food, opening a few gifts (his favorite was a book on hikes in his area), and then gobbling down turtle sunday waffle cones.
My 33rd birthday fell on a Tuesday this year. Alex surprised me with making lemon poppy seed muffins all by himself and Tyler made toast with peanut butter or jelly for me. They even set the table all nice. The cool fabric "Happy Birthday" sign behind us was hand-made by my very talented mother.
That night we all enjoyed Strawberry Shortcake together and then Birch and I went out to dinner with no kids. It was a wonderful way to finish off the day.
Alysee Grace is now a big six year old. Hard to believe that she will start First Grade tomorrow. Since the day Alysee was born at 5 pounds 8 oz. we knew we would love all each ounce of her. She is a ball of fire; a little bi-polar in temperament. She loves to sing and she loves to play school, church, Vacation Bible School, mom/dad, brother/sister--you name it. She has been wonderful at caring for Chloe when I've asked for her help. She enjoys candy, collecting rolly-pollies, sleeping in late (a rare quality at our house), craft projects and drawing, and riding her bike. The day before Alysee's birthday she had her first friend party. We finally learned our lesson and just had two girls over to help celebrate (Alex's first friend party consisted of 18 wild boys--what were we thinking?). The girls made and decorated foam hula dancers, made their own two layer birthday cakes, and then played a really fun game that Birch came up with--"Try and hit your brother with a water balloon." The girls all loved the challenge and Alex and Tyler were good sports about the game.
The night ended with a family trip to the local semi-professional baseball game. Alysee has ALWAYS wanted to try cotton candy. As a birthday treat she got her very own bag of sticky pink cotton candy. She loved the first three bites and then decided that it is actually quite a disgustingly sweet concoction. It was a great way to end the night!

10 comments:

A big happy family said...

Happy Birthday to Everyone!!
What a cute family you have.

Jessica said...

Happy, happy Birthday to all you August-Birthday-Dittos!

emily a. said...

Happy birthday everyone! I love alysee's hair in the picture w/ the torquise skirt. Very cute.

Leah said...

So many birthdays. Good thing I actually got Chloe's present off today. That's a near miracle.

I loved all these pictures. Is that girl of yours beautiful or what?

Kimball & Marianne Larsen said...

August IS a month of birthdays (I guess Thanksgiving is a pretty rockin' holiday). Bent was just born. My (Kimball) birthday was on Saturday, my mom's is on Wednesday, and my dad's is on Saturday. Yeah, we got pretty tired of cake during this week when I was a kid. Now I like pie. Happy Birthday to all! Good luck, kids, in your first day of school!!

Matt's Blog said...

Busy month! The kids just grow up so much! Do you think you'll all be down for the wedding?

kg said...

I love August! :) Fun pictures!

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday you guys. Wow I don't have one summer birthday. I can't believe Alysee didn't like cotton candy. I can easily eat a bag by myself.

Julie said...

I could eat one bag too! Happy birthday everyone! Love the waffle cone idea! Since I end up making my cake on my birthday I should just do a waffle cone!

The Borns said...

Thanks for including us in your parties! Loved that we could be there, in spirit! Loved the pictures.....Ahhh cotton candy! It does always LOOK so good, but...
Happy birthday all... (And Birch, if you've come to the same realization as Jason... you're now old enough to be president! YIKES) Happy August.