Friday, September 19, 2008

The Noblest Calling

All my life I have heard it said that "Motherhood is the noblest calling on earth." The other day I was thinking the following:

  • How noble does it feel to be fishing around in your child's poop looking for a parasite?
  • How noble does it feel to scrape up red Gatorade throw up off of the carpet and then work another two days at trying to get the stain out of the carpet?
  • How noble does it feel to put your child to bed for the umpteenth time when they keep coming out of their room for a new reason?
  • How noble does it feel to clean up poop in the bathtub after your toddler decides the tub is now the toilet (or diaper)?
  • How noble does it feel to spend the afternoon making a yummy dinner and then have the first child that comes to the table declare how disgusting the meal looks?
  • How noble does it feel to sift through your child's hair looking for lice after you get a letter from the school saying your child has been exposed?
  • How noble does it feel to come in the bathroom and see potty all over the wall NEXT to the toilet?
Oh the joys... Is it okay to gripe once and a while about the "Noblest of Callings?"

Disclaimer: the above questions may or may not have happened at our household

11 comments:

Mama Nirvana said...

Did you ever have any idea how much poop you would have to come face to face with on a daily basis before you became a mom?

Well said, Sara.

Hugs,
Amy

kg said...

I love this picture of you!! You are very noble :)

emily a. said...

Let's just say that I'm still dry heaving over today's conversation. I call you noble because I don't know if I could've done what you had to do.

Jason Young said...

You said it all!

Cheers!

Mandy

The Ditto clan said...

Ah the joys of motherhood. It's a good thing the good outweighs the bad, otherwise no one would want the job....

Dunstan Family said...

I guess I am pretty noble I have done a few of those myself. For the record I don't think it's griping I think it's simply informing. =)

Julia said...

They all sound pretty noble to me, except the one about the red throw up. That's just disgusting.

Heidi said...

You spelled out all the noble things very well. Hang in there Sara.

Rachel said...

You are truly hilarious Sara!

The Borns said...

If your a mom... you gotta love poop stories! And YES it is ok to complain... unless you'd rather your head explode...But..then you'd just have to clean up the mess! Vent, vent away...the rest of us find it refreshing! At least I do! It's good to hear how perfect eveyone else's children are, too!

Meta said...

Love this post! I miss you Sara. Everyday I ask myself WHY is this so hard? I thought being a mom would be full of hugs, snuggles, and love! No poop & endless complaining!