Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I think I can....choo choo

Doesn't this picture look like I am full of energy and ready to conquer anything! This was taken a few months before I really needed to jump on the "I think I can" engine. The Lord has thrown us a curve ball and given Birch the opportunity to serve as the Second Counselor in the our ward. For those not familiar with our church, it means Birch will have the chance assist the Bishop in ministering the temporal and spiritual affairs of the congregation.
Alex was especially sad when Birch told him about his new calling because he was anxiously anticipating Birch being his scoutmaster (Birch's previous calling for the past three years). Birch quickly assured him that he would still have lots of opportunities to be with him in his upcoming scouting activities and campouts. Tyler shed a few tears too but I think that was because Alex was crying. Alysee was off in la la land working on a letter to her favorite school teacher and Nate and Coop just wanted to make sure that their daddy was still going to be able to play with them. Birch is such a great daddy that the kids (and me) sometimes have a hard time sharing him.
Mostly I have been a little scared about going to church and sitting with six kids during sacrament meeting without Birch because he will be on the stand with the rest of the Bishopric. In fact, when Birch was called two Sundays ago I had known for a couple of days but the tears still started flowing as he left my side. It wasn't but two minutes later a dear family friend joined our row and took a couple of kids and sat them right down on her lap. What would I do without such wonderful friends?!! I have felt so loved by many wonderful women that I know that I can call on many when I am in need of an additional set of hands. Birch as well has wrapped his arms around me and given me the strength that I need to be the supportive wife that I want to be. I am truly blessed!! I think I can....I think I can...I think I can...choo choo

12 comments:

emily a. said...

I love you.

kg said...

Yes you can! My friend who's husband is in the bishopbric with four kids sits right in the very first row...so they are close to dad. The kids can see him, he can wink at them and keep an eye on them too.

Kimball & Marianne Larsen said...

We know you can, too! My dad served in a bishopric or as the Single's Ward Bishop, then in the Stake Presidency for much of my life. I was one of 8 kids and there are VERY few Sacrament meetings I remember him actually sitting with us. On top of all that, my mom played the organ--so we were parent-less! We just learned to take care of each other and beware the 'evil eye' from the organ! Looking back, I don't know how we managed ourselves. However, it increases my faith in knowing that the Lord strengthens the families that willingly serve. Bless you both!

Karrie said...

You can do it -- you are a supermom Sara! Birch--what a great responsibility, you will do a great job. You are all such a wonderful family - hang in there. A bishopric calling only lasts...hmmm...well ONLY 3-5 years..LOL Love you guys!

Cami said...

Oh Sara, I have been sitting alone with the 5 kids for a little over a year ago and still going. I sit in the last pew next to the door. I do this so I stand with Graham if needed. There are lots of people in the ward that will help if needed. I've been pretty lucky with my kids being good. Of course there are the Sundays I wonder what the talks were and did I feel the spirit? Your in my prayers.

Julia said...

I'm crying with you! You'll be blessed...right????

The Ditto clan said...

I can't imagine how hard it would be. Our bishop is Brent's age and has four little kids at home. Brent said he was at the church almost every night last week (till 11:00 one night) But with great responsibility comes great rewards and Birch will be great at what he does. Just don't be afraid to ask for help!! That's what friends are for.

Duludes said...

Well if we were still in that ward we would totally sit with you every Sunday and get a fill for some adorable cute kiddos. AS it is every Sunday in our ward we sit with the Packards. Oh Sara if anybody can you would be the one your amazing. I need to come visit you since our count down is on for our big move to Tennessee.

Dunstan Family said...

Sara, I know you can. The great thing is you have a partner in crime who doesn't want to sit alone either You and sister can be together in this long trying journey. I know you can it was so hard when micah was the executive secretary. I know it was only a fraction of the time that Birch has to give but you will be blessed and your family will be closer than before.

Kate the Great said...

It's so good to have those sweet sisters, who always know when to come to the rescue in our wards.

Your mom did the same thing for me and my kids while my Husband was in India for three months. I don't know if I could have done it without her at times.

I hope that the sisters in your ward will continue to help you out. But I also know you are going to be great as the wife of a bishopric member.

Katie Carleski

Julie said...

As Dori (Finding Nemo)would say- "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming! We all know you can do it- just don't get too hung up on doing it perfectly. It's when we pick on ourselves that we loose strength. I hope all of you enjoy this journey!

Heidi C. said...

Sara,
You’re in my prayers. I remember feeling just so overwhelmed when Jared was called to be in the Bishopric. I think the hardest part is getting ready for church. I only have 4 boys; my heart goes out to you with 4 boys and 2 girls. I wouldn't even know were to start getting a little girl ready for church.