Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Epitome of Life

It just occurred to me today how often I say the phrase "when you are a mom or dad" to answer my child as to the time frame of when they can do or have something.

Let me give you a few examples:

QUESTION:
  • "When can I have a dog?"
  • "When can you not cut my hair so I can have it long?"
  • "When can I stay up later?"
  • "When can I have more money?"
  • "When can I drink a whole pop can?"
  • "When can I chew gum whenever I want?"
  • "When can I have an Ipod?"
  • "When can I have an Iphone?"
  • "When can I have a cell phone?"
  • "When can I dye my hair?"
  • "When can I have an Ipod Shuffle?"
  • "When can I have a hamster?"
  • "When can I buy a motorcycle?"
  • "When can I have my own computer?"
  • "When can I have unlimited access to the internet?"
As you can see the list is long and deals much with desired purchases. This is a constant struggle for Birch and I to teach our kids how blessed they are but also to provide for them without making it seem like they get anything they ask for. Do you know what I mean? I want them to have the experience of going out to dinner or go to a sport camp or buy a new pair of shoes...but at the same time I don't want them to expect it or to not be grateful when they do get to do those type of things.

Anyway, my sister pointed out the other day that my kids are going to think that parenthood is such a sweet deal that they will all marry right out of high school just so they can get themselves a hamster and dye their hair pink.

Being a parent is hard.

My girls and me

Ami just sent Alysee some pink soft curlers. -- I used to always sleep in pink curlers. I remember most every Christmas Eve going to bed with pink curlers so I would wake up as the beauty queen of the house and look lovely for all those Christmas morning pictures. Alysee didn't love sleeping in them...but don't worry I told her when she is a mommy she doesn't have to.

8 comments:

Mama Nirvana said...

Your best post ever!!! I totally, totally know exactly what you mean.

Amy

emily a. said...

Good thing you don't live in the South or Alysee might ask permission to get married when she's 14.

Um, did I notice the 'swear word' on the girls' pj's? Super cute though. Ahh... the curlers. How many years did I sleep next to you with those curlers in? The pains we women go through to be beautiful. I'd like to see Alysee the next morning with the curls.

Matt's Blog said...

and how often I would wander out of my room on those mornings thinking how nuts my sisters were....

kg said...

Love it! Especially the rollers :)

laura said...

Chloe looks so cute. She seems to have such a personality in that picture. Wish I could see ya'll. Wish I could help, sister, but I will probably be asking you what to do about those same problems some years from now. You are an amazing mommy though. Remember that.
Love ya.

The Ditto clan said...

just tell your kids, "when you save up enough money, YOU can buy yourself an Iphone."

Amanda said...

We have the same issue at our house! Love the curlers! Amelia lets me put them in once and a while too.

Keri said...

My favorite is "When can I drink a whole pop can?" That's so funny. You better stock up on soda for their wedding receptions! :)

When are we gonna have a park day??