Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Renewal

I know everyone is dying to see our remodel work in the mudroom/laundry room and the basement bathroom. These were both items that we had wanted to spruce up but hadn't quite saved up enough pennies to do so. Thanks to a split washer hose and some great house insurance we are now enjoying two beautiful remodeled rooms! I was wishing that I had a wide angel lens so I could better capture the rooms.

Basement Bathroom:

Here is a shot when we first moved into the house:
Right after moving in I ripped down the wall paper and went a little "yellow" crazy -- hey, I wanted to hide all the boy potty:

After the remodel:
Birch and I spent a late night painting the walls and ceiling before the tile was laid. The new Mystic Blue give the bathroom a whole new look.
Front face of the new maple cabinet Laminate countertop w/ maple edge trimming and tile backsplash Love how this tile floor came out -- we purchased all the tile from Home Depot The new sink and faucet were bought on a great deal from a plumbing appliance store that was getting rid of it's overstock. Love the old school metal plaques that I got at a fun little store in Spokane.


Mudroom/Laundry Room:


Mudroom/Laundry Room when we bought the house:
We didn't change too much to the mud room after we moved in. We did paint over the blue paint with a nice taupe color but we left the wallpaper up.
As a result of the water damage the floor was taken up to the sub flooring in order for everything to dry thoroughly.
We tore down all the wall paper (some was greatly damaged by the water) and then painted this really nice wheat color. We also added the great cabinets above the washer and dryer. I love having the extra storage. I was surprised how relatively "cheap" of an addition the cabinets were.
We put in these great lockers (purchased from IKEA) when we first moved into our house. They sure make a great spot to put all the kids coats and backpacks.
LOVE how this floor turned out! Again, the tile was purchased at Home Depot.

We were able to reuse the cabinet in the mudroom, though it did require a new toe kick to be built and some touch up work on the door faces still need to be done. After installing a new countertop and backsplash we put in a new sink and faucet. I found these fun prints while I was on my Girls' weekend in Spokane. I still need to add some vinyl something...Annie and Deena, do you have any ideas for me?

Thankfully Birch just finished all the dry wall repair in the shop. It was a disaster in there until just this past weekend. Birch also repaired the mud and tape on the ceiling so we are good as new.

I must put a disclaimer that most of the time when I said "we" did blaa blaa it was really our great sub-contractor guy that has done the other remodel work in the two upstairs bathrooms. In reality "we" painted the rooms and did all the shopping (and let me tell you it takes a long time to save money and go to a ton of different stores). If anyone in my town is needing any remodel work in their house we know the man!

The hardwood floors will be refinished Thanksgiving week and then the carpets will be cleaned the following week. After that we will be as good a new (really better than we were a couple of months ago). This whole experience has reminded me that God knows best and wants to bless us even if it doesn't always feel that way. I'm thankful for a beautiful home!

7 comments:

Leah said...

Sara, it looks amazing!! You guys did such a great job! Now I know what I need to do if I get tired of my living space...

Keri said...

Beautiful! Though I wouldn't wish water damage or some of the other problems you guys have had on anyone, you have made this home so much nicer!!!! And I can honestly say that because I know what it looked like before you guys moved in :) Love the prints in the downstairs bathroom!

emily a. said...

It's a whole new house. I love it and can't wait to see it in person next week!

Annie Ditto said...

Vinyl ideas... in my old Laundry Room I had on the wall "Laundry...LOADS of Fun!" or you could do the one we saw at Real Deals "Drop you drawers here" or I'm sure we can find more ideas on Etsy- I'll keep looking. I love the big flower pics- they look great!

Rachel said...

Wow! Everything look really good...I love your comment about the 'boy pee'...I had never thought about that-I can only imagine the problems you have...I have my fair share with two. (Yes, this includes my husband)

Rachel said...

Wow! Everything look really good...I love your comment about the 'boy pee'...I had never thought about that-I can only imagine the problems you have...I have my fair share with two. (Yes, this includes my husband)

Lisa Rampton Halverson said...

I love the tile. They look beautiful!