Friday, December 11, 2009

Am I dying?

I know this may sound a bit morbid but I've actually wondered the past couple of months if perhaps I was going to die soon since I have had the treat of seeing so much family lately. You know when someone dies and people always say, "Well, it was sure nice that she got to see so much family recently." Ever since the beginning of November our house has been filled with visiting extended family members. Then for Thanksgiving we were able to see more family while in Oregon. It's been so fun!!!
First off was a wonderful visit from my sister, Emily and her darling bald daughter Sage from Philadelphia. Emily came to be a team with my mom while Birch and I were vacationing carefree in Hawaii.
Emily is such a good mommy. All the kids loved being with her. My time was limited with Emily before our departure but I savored every minute.
Then my mom arrived just in time to hold the tradition of pulling out teeth. I'll have to post more on this later because it was a REALLY big deal for Alysee since this was her first tooth she lost. My mom brought fun activities for the kids to do while we were away and really made them feel each loved. I love my mom!
The following weekend my big brother Matt and his daughter flew in for the weekend for a quick visit. We had such a good time together. We haven't been able to spend much time with Sofia so it was especially fun to get to know her better.
The girls all loved being with each other. Alysee hauled around Sofi just like she was her big sister.
Little blast from the past...Matt and I have a lot of memories with each other. We shared a room until I was 10 years old and I always made sure to sneak Matt food when he was sent to bed without out dinner.
Matt's still got it going on!! He has always been a GREAT dancer and showed us while visiting that he still has got the moves. The kids loved their time with Matt.
Sofi was just a sweetheart! The only thing missing from this trip was Jessica. We're sure hoping that this becomes an annual trip but with Jessica along for the fun next year!
Ryan (Emily's husband) was next to arrive. Ryan flew out from Philly to do some job/residency dental interviews. Ryan is one of the most pleasant and sincere guys I know. I think I love him so much because I see the happiness that he has brought my sister Emily. We're hoping they have seen the ***light*** and will join us in this blessed town we live in.
The following weekend Grannie arrived. Alex had been begging Grannie to come visit for a long weekend for months. Grannie has always been so supportive of our family events and attended each one of them, though her visits have been so short. It was so nice to have her here with us for several days. The kids favorite part was the HOURS of games they did together. Birch and I are not game people so they love the special attention they receive from Grannie. We even had a great day going bowling together. Come back soon!!
Next we were off to Oregon to see my parents for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving day POURED rain but we stayed cozy inside playing and eating yummy food. I wish I had a picture of my mom and I when we hit the road on Black Friday at 4:45 AM. It was so fun to spend the wee early hours of the morning with my mom and all the other crazy shoppers. The kids especially enjoyed some extra time with Poppi since his visits are short and far between.
Alex and Poppi were hard at work in the shop for a good chunk of the weekend working on this beautiful present (a cabinet to go over our flat screen wall-mounted tv) for Birch and me. Alex loved all the time with Poppi.
Then to top it off my Grandma and Grandpa Howe drove down to join us all for Thanksgiving as well. I'm so glad my kids have had several opportunities to rub shoulders with these wonderful people.

My grandma and the kids loved making Thanksgiving rolls together.

I'm so thankful that I am surrounded by so much family that love each other. I know not everyone is blessed with such strong unity or a love of being together. Keep the visits coming!!!

8 comments:

Mama Nirvana said...

Funny, I've had the same thoughts about dying, but for different reasons. Wouldn't that be amazing if Emily got to live right by you? I can't imagine!!! Matt looks so great, but your hair looks even better -- it's is just perfect for you. So glad that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, jam-packed with family. I definitely forgive you for not calling :)

Amy

emily a. said...

You better not be dying. This was a fun post. I think it took Alysee about 4 days to stop saying "It feels so weird in my mouth without that tooth." She really was so excited AND gutsy having mom help.

We loved our visits too and can't wait (hope) to be neighbors soon!

emily a. said...

How could I have forgotten to mention Matt's outfit. How grateful are we for cameras? So very...

Matt said...

I think that the picture from 20 years ago is a bit rude especially after making the trip up to see you (which, but the way, we had a great time!) Sofia now can point to a picture everyone when asked where they are. Also...don't die....I need to get you back now.

Leah said...

Uh, you can't die yet. I haven't been out there for a while.

kg said...

Fun to have so many visitors! Love your hair :)

Heidi C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi C. said...

Sara your hair is adorable. Glad to see you having so many visitors. Hope Emily and her family get to move by you guys; that would be so much fun!