Friday, March 19, 2010

Ain't nothing but a hound dog

http://appealtoauthority.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/229154405_991d62934d1.jpg

Yeah Baby!!! Two weekends ago I got to have a "Mini-Me" trip. My mode of transportation...the Greyhound bus. Not being a confident freeway driver and knowing I was going to be extra tired after spending a weekend staying up late with people I love, I chose the luxury ride of the Greyhound. Years ago my sister and I took the Greyhound to visit my grandma and I still have memories of being a bit scared but also enjoy several solid hours of people-watching. Well, I certainly was not let down in that department on this past trip. When I first loaded on the bus the driver said to all of us passengers, "Riding the Greyhound is like going to church: no swearing, no drinking, and NO FUN. Enjoy the ride!" I sat like a scared little nini right behind the bus driver and made sure to give no eye contact to anyone (except for when I was staring). Honestly, though, I would do it again. It was great to have over five hours to just read. Over the weekend I read three terrific books that I would highly recommend:

"Like Dandelion Dust" by Karen Kingsbury (a new author that I have been enjoying lately--she writes nice clean Christian books)

"A Thousand Tomorrows" by Karen Kingsbury (LOVED this book)

"The Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks (I sat in the Portland Bus station bawling my eyes out at 6 am in the morning.)


The reason for the trip??? A day with three of my favorite people--Meta, Kimberly, and Amy. We've known each other for over twenty years (wow--that makes me feel old). The last few years we've been lucky enough to throw together several mini Girls' Trip to catch up on each other's lives and continue our childhood friendships. This year we were missing one of my favorite childhood friends, Heidi. I'm hoping that the next trip will bring us all together again.

Even though we are all spread out throughout the United States and I don't have regular time talking time with these wonderful women it only takes about three seconds to feel like we are back to our high school days hanging out with each other at a sleepover or church youth event.
What did we do with our precious hours together?...TALK. I found my comfy spot on the couch and relished catching up on each others lives. We threw in a bit of shopping and eating at our favorite spot--"American Dream Pizza" and "New Morning Bakery."
It all came to a close too quickly and we said our goodbyes after attending church at our hometown ward. Even though we have stayed connected through blogs, occasional phone calls, and a tad bit of facebooking you just can't beat sitting in the same room together, shedding a tear as we talk of life's struggles, rejoicing in each others families, and laughing about past memories. Ladies...you know I cherish each one of you and look forward to our next reunion!!!

I was double lucky by not only seeing some of my favorite women but also by sharing a day with my littlest sister, Laura and her husband Jared and my mom and dad. Though we didn't have a lot of time together I enjoyed each moment. I'm not sure if I have ever spent a day with just my mom and dad (especially as an adult). It's so fun seeing my mom and dad together as empty-nesters...enjoy the alone time and keeping their love strong. They each treat me and my family with such love and made me feel extra special while we were together. Laura married her sweetheart, Jared, not long ago and they are now expecting their first child. They are going to be awesome parents and I can't wait to meet their little one.

The weekend all came to a close so fast but I'm so thankful to have been able to have a "Mini-Me" trip reconnecting with those I love. Birch held down the fort with no trouble at all. I came home to a clean house, colorful flowers on the counter, and happy children (because they had been spoiled by their daddy all weekend).
Go Greyhound!!

6 comments:

kg said...

Sara it is always so refreshing to see you...it was a great weekend, I'm so glad you braved the Greyhound and came :) Big hugs!!

Mama Nirvana said...

What a great post!!! I loved every minute with you :)

Amy

emily a. said...

Great pictures! I'm so envious of this little trip. My friends need to jump on the reunion train and get one planned too. You look so great in these pictures! That's definitely your perfect hair cut!

laura said...

miss you already! thanks for making the effort!

Meta said...

It was so wonderful to see you Sara. You make me smile. I admire so many things about you. Love your grey sweater! :)

Matt said...

So great you guys have stayed in such good contact. 20 Years? Doesn't seem that long ago.