Sunday, April 18, 2010

Good, Better, Best...what's been sucking my time

A few years ago Elder Dallin H. Oaks, an apostle from our church, gave a wonderful talk on this very thing--"Good, Better, Best." He said, "We have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families." That line really hit me--was I choosing the "best" to fill my time? I remember my mom once telling me that she is "96% productive with all her time." I've never claimed to be 96% productive and honestly I don't really desire to be that awesome. For example, I recently indulged myself in the WHOLE season 2 of "ER." Yes, I have been an "ER" junkie for the past nine years since I had fussy children at the 10 pm hour. I felt guilty watching the 22 episodes and tried my best to have a good excuse like folding laundry or deciding I just deserved it after a long day.

Anyway, my point is I often feel like I am just not doing enough. Not enough quality time spent with the kids, too much time on the computer, not enough yummy dinners, too much time being grouchy, not enough time doing thoughtful things for my sweet husband, etc... The past month or so has been so FULL--full of good things, but so full. I have found myself going to bed past midnight on a regular basis, therefore missing out on the quiet time with my husband yet needing to use the quiet hours when the kids are in bed in order to get projects done.

I thought I would share some of the Good, Better, Best in my life this past month.

GOOD...

Without really meaning to, a wonderful friend and I started a little hair accessory business in mid February. It all started with having a fun morning creating hair things for ourselves and then thinking that others might also like our creations. Soon we found ourselves investing quite a bit of time into creating darling hair accessories. We've done this all with the "help" of our children during the day. They have helped by playing with each other while we worked away.
One morning I was trying to crank out some more burned edge flowers and this is how Chloe kept herself occupied. By the time I looked up and realized what she was doing I decided to just let her continue to have fun. (side note: Just so you don't think she was totally neglected--I had given her a bath and put a new diaper on that morning. I just hadn't gotten her dressed or done her hair yet.)
What I was making while Chloe was creating her own creation.
This was taken when we initially started our little business...since then we have some really cute professionally-printed cards that I designed. I'm totally not into the sales part but my friend is a sales queen and totes this basket around with her just about every where she goes.

Also GOOD...

Birch and I have had several opportunities in the past couple of months to do some little photoshoots. We are total "wanna-be" photographers but between Birch's photography and my photoshop skills we have really created some wonderful keepsakes. I have realized though, that this hobby takes A LOT of time.




BETTER...

I have also spent many hours having fun creating some fun photoshop projects.

For several years now I have been able to share my self-learned (and phone tutorials from my sister) photoshop skills with doing the publicity for many church functions.
This was a fun first-time project that I did for a friend's daughter's baptism.
This month has also been very consumed in being part of our elementary school's jog-a-thon committee. I learned how to write a press release, designed water bottles, put together the fundraiser packets, did the publicity, and some other random stuff. This is the first time our school has done this type of a fundraiser so we've have all learned a lot. I think the whole committee will be very grateful when this Thursday is over.

BEST...

But what is the best thing that I have done this past month??...be a mom to six terrific kids. Sure they have tested my patience on a daily basis, messed up the house, complained about dinner, and bugged each other--but in the end I love them. I am blessed to be their mother. I am blessed to be surrounded by people I love and love me.
The crazy litter - April 2010
And how could I not love this guy? He is an awesome daddy, car mechanic, provider for our family (I've heard he is pretty darn good at what he does), loving husband, and spiritual hero to me.
What a hunk!!!

As my church leaders have reminded me, "however worthy and appropriate other demands or activities may be, they must not be permitted to displace the divinely-appointed duties that only parents and families can adequately perform." I am surrounded my Good, Better, and definitely THE BEST.

I pray that I can do a better job at juggling the good, better, and best and never let the BEST fall down.

12 comments:

emily a. said...

Good post. I should definitely take note of this and re-evaluate a bit. I know I could use my time better.

I can't wait to learn how to make those burned flowers from you.

Matt said...

A good reminder, but don't be too hard on yourself...in our book, you are amazing for sure!
Note to Emily: As its a business, Sara will be happy to sell you one....lessons can also be arranged for a price.

Leah said...

Love you Sara. You're doing awesome, and I know exactly the feels of guilt that you've expressed!

Mama Nirvana said...

I'm amazed at all you are doing. Going back to work seems to have drastically altered my productivity. I am getting nothing done at home -- BUT my home time is family time, focused family time, and that is something I wasn't very good at when I wasn't working, so that is good. I love all of your pictures!

Amy

kg said...

You are amazing, I think we all need this reminder :) I'm always in awe of how you do it all!

kg said...

p.s. How do I get some of your burned flowers? :)

Mary Jane said...

Sara, I too am thankful for your reminder aboout good, better, best..sometimes I feel like I'm living in "marginal"; however, I almost didn't get to the whole message since I was laughing so hard of darling Chloe on her stool in the pantry. I just love that age!

laura said...

Sara,
your post comes after a sincere discussion Jared and I had on Saturday and a great set of talks Sunday on Obedience at church. I have been thinking about this to. One thing I have been thinking about, is why to I desire to do some of the good or marginal things in place of better of best things? Maybe it's like our taste buds ...
Either way, thank you for your post.

Julia said...

Wow, you're pretty lazy. NOT!!!! Holy cow, Sara, you are completely amazing. Your post was a great reminder, though. I feel inspired to stop ignoring Jane yelling for the fifth time that SHE NEEDS A DRINK. Maybe I'll go help her. Love you!

Leah said...

By the way, is it just me or is Birch getting younger??

Blayre said...

you're so talented! wow! What a great example to me you are as well...love you!

The Ditto clan said...

Sara,
You are So talented! I get so many compliments on the pictures you took of Claire. I'm amazed at how you do it all. It's all I can do to keep my house clean!