Monday, May 10, 2010

Rock n'...

Monday morning Birch and I drove up with some friends for a very adventuresome day. For months now Birch and our friends have been trying to convince me to become one with the rocks. Perhaps when we were dating I might have alluded that I enjoy the great outdoors, freezing water when water-skiing, and camping with the spiders. Is it a good sign that I now feel I can be honest? I like swimming in warm chlorinated water, sleeping in my own bed, and pleasant little hikes in mountains after I have eaten a real breakfast (you know, not like instant oatmeal in a plastic cup while climbing the South Sister Mountain in Oregon).
Feuling up before ascending up the South Sister-October 1997

Anyway, I finally gave in with some peer and husbandly pressure and consented to a day at the The Feathers, near the town Vantage. I'd be lying if I didn't admit a little bit of glee when I woke up and saw that it was raining. After a careful analysis of the weather it was determined that the area we were going to be spending the day would be most likely dry. We got the kids out the door and dropped off Coop and Chloe at a friend's house and hit the road.
The  Feathers climbing area...

Here is the location of our adventure.

My first climb was on "40 Bucks after Dark" -- 5.3 difficulty (climbing scale 5.1-5.6 Easy)
It was challenging but not really so bad. I actually kind of liked rappelling down the rock face after the climb.
Next was "Feather in My Cap" --5.5 difficulty
The last climb I did was called "Ruffled Feathers" -- 5.7 difficulty (5.7-5.9 Intermediate climb)
Wow--it was really challenging. I had to rely much more on my belayer, Birch. I don't think my little fingers have ever worked so hard in their life. I was really proud of myself when I reached the top. After repelling back to the ground my body felt a bit like I had run a marathon (not that I have done that either but my body felt a little like jello).
Birch was like a stud man up there. He even lead climbed a couple of the routes.


The last climb that Birch did was called "Alter of Sacrifice" -- 5.7 level of difficulty. This climb had this amazing part where the rocks were inverted. Luckily we ran out of time so I didn't get to try this route...I think it might have been a bit beyond my scrawny muscles.
I think I might have gotten a few "wife" points on Monday's adventure. Do I dare say that I just might have enjoyed myself? Shh...I might possibly have found a sport that I like.

11 comments:

Seth and Caroline said...

so cool sara! glad to see you bring something to the family :)

c

Caleb and Anna Fields said...

Wow, I'm impressed, as far as sports goes, rock climbing is pretty hard-core! Those are definate wife points! Your pictures are beautiful ...and absolutely, Josiah would love a photo shoot! Thanks so much for the offer. We'll see you in June!

Matt said...

I'm just so proud of you. Birch...it only took 12 years. Nice work.

emily a. said...

Sara, you had me laughing. Seeing that top picture was so funny. It was SO FREAKING COLD. And Alex was conceived. Gross. But back to your post... great pictures. So glad you liked it and I'm sure Birch was in heaven!!!

Leah said...

Sorry Caroline, Seth already brought that to the family.

And I just threw up a little in my mouth reading Emily' post.

But, you do look real cute climbing. Aren't you glad you got fitted bum pants now? And you did like a grown up activity, during the day, without kids. Was that the strangest thing ever?

Ditto Family said...

Um, Emi I am definitely going to leave some embarrassing comment on your blog now. The math does play out right for your comment, though. It must have been freezing because I know that the Sisters did not light my fire.

emily a. said...

I hit enter before I thought too much about my mentioning Alex. I remember something being said about that- how I ended up squeezing me and my summer sleeping back in between M&D because I was so freezing during the night. That next morning as I was trying to de-thaw you mentioned you weren't cold at all.

It's okay, we're primarily family. We know Alex was conceived someplace.

laura said...

Well, not only did I just enjoy the blog post, but the comment's following equally entertaining. But Sara, I am so glad you went AND you enjoyed it. I went their my sophomore year for a concert and we had SO much fun climbing at Vantage for a couple of days. It's fun to know where you went. Great job!

Julie said...

Great job Sara! That's on my bucket list of things to do. I may try taking a class in it at my school for an elective credit. Nice pics!

kg said...

Good for you Sara! And you look so stylish climbing, I love your vest :) And you Sherry girls and your comments make me laugh.

AndreaF said...

That looks like SO MUCH FUN to me. Too bad my husband knows nothing about rock climbing. Oh yeah, and that I live in Texas! Someday maybe. You did awesome for your first time! I have only been once and the guy I went with made me come back down upside down. Scary but fun. You look beautiful BTW and your butt looks way too tight for having had 6 kids! Not to embarrass or anything, just giving credit where credit is due! :)