Friday, June 4, 2010

Parlez vous francais?

The countdown finally ended last Thursday when my little brother Luke returned home from serving a two-year mission for our church in Paris, France. We were lucky enough to be at the Portland Airport for the big reunion. To top it off my brothers Matt and Seth surprised everyone and had also flown into the Portland airport for the weekend.
We were all excited to welcome Luke home!! I love this picture because it captures how proud my dad is of Luke.

Wish you could have been there? Watch this!
Once we got home to my parent's house we were busy having fun with each other. The big boys and Poppi did a little clay pigeon shooting in the backyard. Luke has always had a "special" way of dressing. His luggage didn't make it to Oregon with him so he had to pull out his treasured pre-mission clothing. I'm wondering why we didn't throw them away when we had the chance. All the kids with Poppi and the uncles worked on building bird houses. They all had a great time! UNIQUE would be the best way I could describe Luke. He is really quite talented in many different musical areas. We were all treated to a little concert with him playing both the piano and the melodica (who knew there was such a thing!?). One of Luke's favorite things about being in Paris was meeting so many people from all over the world, especially Africa. It was so fun to be there when his best friends surprised him and flew home from college to see Luke. Luke was quick to bust out his bubus for each of them.
Saturday we enjoyed a great day at the beach. We were really lucky with the weather. It wasn't particularly warm but nice enough to make the most of our day. Love this picture of my mom and dad. I think this is such a dreamy shot. My dad is going to retire this September and I just think of how blissful my parent's golden years are going to be. Nate loved looking for shells in the tide pools. If only I could beam us over to the Hawaiian beaches! Love this man! Luke didn't loose his touch on the skim board. Late in the afternoon Alysee, Nate, and Coop decided it was time to bust out their swimsuits and hit the water. They were out there for at least an hour and LOVING every minute. Poppi and Alysee had a great time together!
Tyler and Poppi exploring.
Coop was hilarious!!! He kept saying, "I'm surfing in the San Diego beaches." He didn't want to come home! Nate and Alysee loved jumping the waves. The only way that we could convince the kids that it was time to go home was a promise to stop at the famous Aunt Belinda's candy store in Newport, OR. I love Chloe's face in this picture. She was so excited about the water touching her feet. I could tell my mom was enjoying having a chunk of her kids close by. She just seemed at peace. Nate jumping the surf. Chloe spent hours digging in the sand and soaking up the sun. Alex had a good time trying to relearn how to skim board. There goes Nate!!Luke and Seth were so funny to watch as they tried to perform this musical, muscleman, acrobatic thing at the beach. It was really funny until they "forced" me to be apart of the "act." It was a painful experience.

So thankful for a sunny day at the beach and family to spend the day together.
We were trying to keep Chloe up on the drive home from the beach. Feeding her candy worked until about fifteen minutes from home. She was totally out!! The girl played hard!! My parent's home is so well-kept and beautiful. Alysee was loving all the colorful flowers. Chloe was in heaven eating the first sugar snap peas of the season. Chloe is not a very serious girl but I love the pureness of this picture.
We had such a wonderful Memorial Weekend in Oregon. On our drive home we decided to stop at Multnomah falls (along with about a thousand other people). We decided that we would hike to the top of the waterfalls. WOW--that was courageous of us. It was a mile and half up hill. The kids did great until Nate anxiously told us as soon as we finally made it to the top that he had "to poo." Great! We sent Alex, Tyler, and Nate off on their own so they could run down the mountain. Gratefully they made it down in time to reach the bathroom. We were all pretty tuckered out by the time we got back down.

What a great weekend!!! Love spending time with family!! Welcome Home Lukey!!!

5 comments:

Matt said...

What a great post! Bummed I missed beach day, but found the video of Seth and Luke to be quite humorous!

Mama Nirvana said...

Your pictures look so great! It sounds like you all had such a wonderful weekend together.

Amy

emily a. said...

I've been waiting for this post! GREAT pictures. Love the ones of M&D and especially that one of just mom. Yep, Seth and Luke are still as weird as ever. I wish I could've been there. Thanks for helping me feel like I was there.

Leah said...

Thanks for this post so I felt like I was a part of what was going on. Loved the video especially! Such great pictures!

Dianne K. Nelson said...

Fantastic pictures! What a great family time!