Monday, August 22, 2011

9 is Quite Fine

Alysee turned the ripe old age of NINE this year. When we found out we were having a little girl nine years ago my heart did flips. We had wanted a little girl so badly to join our family. Alysee's pregnancy was not an easy one at times. I had preterm labor to battle and my midwife determined that Alysee had gestational retardation -- meaning she wasn't growing in utero the way she should have been. Two weeks before Alysee was due I was in the hospital having a stress test done. At the end of the test my midwife said that if I would like to stay and have the baby that day I could. I called Birch giddy with excitement and he said, "Ah, I was going to clean the bathroom today and then do a wheel chair evaluation later on." I was like, "Are you kidding me? I want this baby out now and the toilet can wait." Birch later defended myself by sharing that he was so caught off guard that he wasn't thinking right.

Here's a little blast from the past:
(I can't believe how much Chloe looks like Alysee)

Alysee's birth was wonderful (and painless--isn't that what makes it wonderful). She was so tiny and sweet right from birth. Alysee has grown some since (not too much, though) and she is still so sweet. She stands her own and will never be forgotten as the "middle child." Alysee is loud, very spunky, sensitive of others, and forgiving. She loves to read, make lists (you should have seen all the lists I was given the months prior to her birthday of her birthday wishes), great teacher, loves to go to school, loves animals, and loves to stay up late and sleep in the next day.
Alysee's birthday was celebrated over two days since the boys were gone to Sheep Lake for part of her birthday. She chose Dutch Baby for breakfast, mini corn dogs for lunch, and dinner the following day was each person making personal pan pizzas and watching the movie Rio together. Alysee wanted to make homemade Whoopie Pies for her dessert. These babies were fun to make but so sweet. I think each child ate like two bites and then save the rest for the next day.
With each birthday list Alysee gave me prior to her birthday the list got shorter and the number one item was written larger -- A NEW BIGGER DESK. Her little IKEA desk just wasn't cutting it anymore. I procrastinated a bit finding the perfect desk but the night before her birthday I finally found it. That night Alex and Tyler added a fresh coat of paint and Birch put on new knobs. Alysee felt like she had gone to heaven when she woke up on her birthday and saw her new desk in her room. So fun to make a little girls' dream come true. Love this girl!!!

2 comments:

emily a. said...

I loved going down memory lane with all of the pictures of Alysee. She's always been so cute!

Matt said...

Happy birthday Lysee!