Thursday, December 1, 2011

Tender Mercy

Seth and son Tommy in Zambia, African September 2011

Last month I experienced tender mercy from the Lord. I don't want to forget the Lord's hand in my life so I thought I would write this experience down. My brother and his family moved to Zambia, Africa this past summer for three years for an excellent job opportunity. It has been incredible to read their experiences and trials that they have been experiencing while living there.

Several weeks ago they asked if I would do the research and book their plane tickets to come back to the states for Christmas. Their internet and power is real spotty so it makes it hard to do this type of thing. Gladly I accepted the challenge -- and was it a challenge. In just a few days they will start their 33 hour travel time with two kids under the age four (Caroline will have to do this by herself with the kids coming here to the US -- pray for her).

Anyway, I had spent many hours on the phone and researching online to get the best flights possible. As I was doing the actual booking part of the flight I started realizing that I needed more info (like birth years for everyone, credit card address, etc...). I was so frustrated because the ticket had already gone up about $1,000 overnight and because of our time difference it would be another day until I would hear back from an email if I sent it to Seth.

I started emailing and calling all my family members and Caroline's mom to try and find out the information I was lacking. I tried skyping with my parent's on their mission in Fiji to see if they had the information I needed. No one even had a phone number that I could even try to call Seth. I also kept attempting to google chat with my brother to see if maybe I could wake him up. N.o.t.h.i.n.g.

I said a little prayer and not one minute later the phone rang.

It was Seth.

He said that he just felt like he should call before he went to bed.

Oh my, talk about the Lord's hand in my life. This was a tender mercy...this was a miracle. Seth had no idea that I NEEDED to talk to him but he followed his prompting to call me. We ended up spending the next hour on the phone and emailing in order to get all their ticket stuff straightened out.

I am thankful for the Lord's hand in my life. Here is a little video clip from a modern day apostle of our church that shares more about what a tender mercy is:


Click here to link to movie: http://youtu.be/y7XA5X5CxJc

5 comments:

Deena said...

Thanks Sara, i love little stories like this...the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I was really missing some friends back in Keizer. I hadn't talked to anyone for a few months. And that same day a friend called and said "I thought of you twice today, so I thought i'd better call you." I was SO thankful!!

Mama Nirvana said...

So good to take the time to write these things down. Those memories can become so important to us. Your family is across the world now!

Julie said...

Sara could feel the sweet spirit as I read this! Love when we KNOW he is listening and helping us :)

Matt said...

I didn't know this story....thank you for sharing!

Annie & Tom said...

Sara, this is such a beautiful story. We shared it with one of the families we are teaching and made them a "Tender Mercy" record book. Now I need to keep my own. Thanks so much.