Thursday, January 5, 2012

A place for everything...and everything in its' place

Way back in November I taught a class on "Making your home an organized safe haven." It was kind of an overwhelming topic because there are so many aspects of organization AND I wouldn't say I was a pro at any of them. I spent about seven months preparing for this presentation all the while thinking about how my house could sure use a visit from the Organization Bunny. Birch and I tackled a few of the areas that especially needed some attention but my pantry was put on hold until a few weeks ago.

First here are a few highlights from my presentation:
Organizing our Time

  • One side of the tree is an overgrown bramble of showy branches, but with small fruit.
  • The other side is well pruned with large fruit.
  • Notice the roots on each side of the tree

  • 1. First Examine Motives
  • Delving into our motives for doing what we do is akin to open heart surgery or maybe better said “open soul searching.” It requires taking a good hard look in the mirror and acknowledging the wrinkles. We have to acknowledge who is dictating our motives for being so busy.
  • When too much of our focus, our energy, our time and means are going to the many branches of life instead of the spiritual roots, our efforts could actually be the antithesis of our eternal goals--an over abundance and preoccupation with things and activities can rob us of the very spiritual vitality, peace and joy we are seeking to achieve in our lives and families.'

2. Prune

  • When we begin to know who we are--the kind of tree we are to become at maturity--we begin to get a sense of how to prune and shape our life’s tree. Pruning is SIMPLIFING.
  • Cutting off the excess branches leaves a tree looking frighteningly bare, and may even be a bit painful, but if our tree doesn’t get pruned, it will become overgrown with branches and not produce the kind nor the quality of fruit we so desire

3.

Prioritize

  • Thin the fruit (prioritize). Make sure you’re working on what’s truly important instead of getting caught up in minor things.

4.

Roots

  • The most important element in finding balance in our lives came when we considered nourishing the roots--the vital part of the tree that doesn’t show.

Small and Simple Things Essential to Growth” by Elder Bednar

Click here if you cannot see the video: http://lds.org/study/prophets-speak-today/unto-all-the- world/small-simple-things-essential-to-growth?cid=email-shared&lang=eng

· President Monson has promised, “Your testimony, when constantly nourished, will keep you safe.”38 We push our spiritual roots deep, feasting daily on the words of Christ in the scriptures. We trust in the words of living prophets, placed before us to show us the way. We pray and pray and listen to the quiet voice of the Holy Ghost that leads us along and speaks peace to our soul. Whatever challenges arise, we never, never leave Him.”

A friend of Birch's dad once made this comment -- Birch and I have said it tons of times over the years as our children leave scratch marks in our new refinished hardwood floors, our yard could use some extra attention, or we choose to do a family activity over some home improvement project.
I'd say this poster is the theme for my facelift of our horrible panty.

Before:
Honestly I would have probably saved my pantry for my mom to tackle if she was not on a mission right now. There is no way this mess could have lasted eighteen more months. My mom is so good at this type of thing. Just look at it -- the SHAME!

Six Hours Later...

Is it bad to be prideful about ones' pantry?
The containers were all bought at IKEA.
The label maker hadn't seen the daylight for a couple of years -- it went over time.
Then I was having so much fun I decided to redo the spice cabinet. I put my basic baking ingredients in this cabinet.
And moved the spices to the corner wheel organizer.
Then I decided to get rid of my sugar and flour ceramic containers. They never hold enough to even make a batch of something but they took up the same amount of room as my new tupperwares.

Lastly I conquered the kitchen desk cabinet. I had all sorts of candle holders and decide to chuck them all -- we just aren't a candle-lit dinner family. It was much better to have containers for my birthday decorating stuff.

I think anyone who has come to visit me recently has been given the tour -- I just might have a love affair with my newly organized kitchen!

Conclusion

Benefits of Getting organized:

· Feel better and have more energy

· You'll save more money. When you're organized, you'll always know what you have, before you buy more.

· Get more done

· Create space for the people and activities that matter most to you

· Decrease levels of daily stress, anxiety, and tension

· Think more clearly and feel more creative

· Save valuable time you used to spend hunting for things

· Get rid of the guilt you used to feel every time you faced your cluttered environment

· More easily feel the spirit

· Grow bigger fruit

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Great job, Sara! Beautiful pantry too!

Mama Nirvana said...

You have truly inspired me! My lazy susan need an overhaul and so does my pantry cupboard.

emily a. said...

Loved the class. You did a fantastic job.