Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day Five: A Dip Into Paradise

If I'm remembering right Wednesday morning was the only morning that we had nothing planned early on so we enjoyed lounging in bed and reading.  While in Fiji I read five books on my new kindle and Birch even read several books himself.  The Wellesley had a nice outdoor dining area where we enjoyed our breakfast.
 When our waitress gave us our menu she said we could pick anything from it (breakfast was included as part of our reservation).  Everything looked tasty but to only pick a couple of things it didn't look like it would be very satisfying.  So we said, "Could we have one of everything?"  "No worries," was her reply and she left.  We weren't sure if that meant she had understood our request or if we had had another foreign language blunder.  Sure enough breakfast started coming out and filling our whole table.  We had decided that we were going to skip lunch to save money so we ate our breakfast as late as possible and obviously wanted to be full. 
 Our portions were quite small so we didn't feel quite as piggy as we gobbled up everything (fresh fruit platter, pancakes (so yummy), toast, juice, yogurt, and muslix (which reminded me of the reindeer food that we make for our kids to feed the Santa's reindeer). 
We never actually swam or hung out at the pool as the beach was just as close and so peaceful.




 More reading...more lounging
 Since we skipped lunch we all snacked on greenish yellow tangerines and peanut butter and bread (I ate more peanut butter and bread on this trip than I have since I was a kid).
My parents haven't read a novel since they have been on their mission.  As a senior couple they were allowed to vacation with us while we were visiting so they added a novel into their daily scripture reading.  What a fun way to indulge yourself!
Birch and my dad decided they were going to kayak out past the break and then go snorkeling.  It was really windy so the rowing was tough.  Once they got out to the reef break they decided that maybe it wouldn't be so smart to go beyond (if we wanted them to come back in one piece).  Water is just so powerful!  My dad rowed back by himself and Birch snorkeled back into shore.

Before leaving on our trip I got a killer deal on a waterproof video camera from woot.com.  Check out this fun video of Birch and myself snorkeling.  The sound that you hear toward the beginning that kind of sounds like a dolphin is me trying to get Birch's attention.  http://youtu.be/0uPMu1dRHR4
Hang loose!
My parents wanted to teach us how to shred a coconut.  Using this sharp tool Birch was able to shred this coconut in no time at all.  It was delicious!  Unfortunately I didn't feel so good after eating it, though.  My stomach is real sensitive to high fatty foods so I'm guessing it just didn't sit well.  My parents regularly buy coconuts and shred them to add to recipes -- a favorite is a cinnamon rolls filled with fresh shaved coconut. We brought home one of those tools so I am excited to try out that recipe.
 That evening we decided to walk down to another resort for our dinner at the Crusoe's Resort.  The cost of the meals at the resorts were expensive (around $35-45 Fijian -- so like $17-20 US).  We really liked how small our resort was but thought it would be fun to check out another resort for dinner.  The two resorts are probably half of a mile apart; between those two resorts there is a little village.  It was CRAZY how right next to our nice resort was this little primitive village.  The children were so friendly to us while we would walk by their backyards...the beach.  Both afternoons there were about seven kids all running around in their underwear.  I kept thinking how this is totally normal for them everyday.  Birch and my dad were playing frisbee while we were walking to the Crusoe and tossed it to the kids.  Check out that boy's height!  
We soon learned that we were interrupting their after-school jobs -- unloading drift wood from the boat. Now that job sounds much more fun then dusting!
On the way back home there were a group of guys (probably 17 - 25 years old) that invited Birch and my dad to join in on a game of rugby.
Nice moves!  I think Birch and my dad loved their 15 minutes of being "native."
A beautiful close to a wonderful day!

No comments: