Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Anniversary Trip to the Beehive State

Right after Christmas Birch and I headed to SLC for an ultra quick trip for Birch's brother Andrew's wedding.  We were torn as to whether we wanted to drive and bring the whole family or fly and make it a post-anniversary trip.  Leaving the kids behind won...they were a bit sad but really they had a marvelous time while we were gone bouncing from friend's house to friend's house.
Since I spent our real anniversary barfing and being surrounded by the kiddos it was a real treat to fly sans kids and really celebrate.
Our first stop upon landing was the Salt Lake Temple.  We have a tradition of doing a sealing session each anniversary.  This was only our second time in the SLC temple so that made it extra special.
Temple Square was just gorgeous all lite up.
That night we made a quick stop at my brother and sister-in-law's house, Matt and Jessica.  Although we didn't get to spend too much time together it was so fun to see their newly remodeled kitchen and their sweet girls.
Following Matt and Jessica's recommendation we went to dinner at Sawadee Thai Restaurant.  It was AMAZING!!!  The portions were HUGE and the flavor was killer. We will certainly be back!

We spent our first night at the Anniversary Inn in downtown Salt Lake City.  Although many of the rooms as the inn are kind of hockey we were very pleased with our room.  We're not Twilight book or movie fans but we are fans of the Twilight Room.  Our time flew by as we didn't get in until after 9 pm and we were on the road by 7:30 am Friday morning to the wedding.
The Oquirrh Mountain Temple was just beautiful and was blanketed with fresh snow.  It was freezing so their are lots of red noses in the pictures.
It was a wonderful sealing and Jenna and Juje were in la la loversland.

Quite the gang whom braved the cold!

A couple of the brothers had already headed to their warm cars before we took these pictures.

Birch put together this collage of lots of our funny pictures from the wedding.  

The afternoon was filled with a super tasty luncheon at a nearby church where the Ditto family pulled off a Cafe Rio meal for 100.  It was so great to see everyone pitch in together -- I actually flew with 20 pounds of cafe rio pork that was gobbled up at the luncheon.  The entertainment was awesome -- filled with dances from the nieces and nephews, skits, and a song from the brothers.  So fun!!!! 

Wish you could have been there?

Following the luncheon Birch and I scooted off to IKEA for a 20 minute shopping spree and then to the mall to purchase a few gifts for our kids.  We made it just in time to the reception hall for lots of pictures, ice skating, hot chocolate, and visiting with out-of-town relatives.  It was a really beautiful evening!
Friday night following the reception we were able to spend some time with Laura, Jared, and their sweet newborn, Sawyer who had just been admitted into Primary Children's Hospital diagnosed with RSV.  Although the circumstances were not ideal we felt blessed to spend sometime with them and meet Sawyer for our first time.
Saturday morning we headed to Mapleton to see much more of our family -- Seth and Caroline were visiting Leah and Geoff and Luke came on over as well.  How did I get so short?
 So fun to see Seth and Caroline twice in two months when it had been such a long time.
Some of my favorite ladies!

Birch and I returned our rental car and sprinted to the airline terminal.  We had such a wonderful and packed 2.5 days together.  We feel blessed to have been able to see so much family, celebrate with all the Dittos on the union of Jenna and Andrew, and spend time together as a couple.  What a treat!!!


emily a. said...

Looks like a great trip. Little Sawyer has such beautiful eyes.

Matt said...

We loved seeing you! Thanks for making time.