Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Forbidden

At our home there a many words that are forbidden.  You know the kind of words that belittle, are negative, or just plain naughty.  My kids could attest that I've said a million times, "If it doesn't build someone up than don't say it at all."  I've always been kind of a Hitler when it comes to not saying bad words.  Just ask my little brother, Seth and he can attest that I'll teach you a lesson if you say naughty words around me.  Growing up I was often the babysitter in the family and therefore took it upon myself (I think my parents might have actually crowned me as "The Boss" since my older brother Matt learned that he could sneak in the family room and watch TV while next in line, Sara bossed around the family teaching them life lessons.)  Anyway, back to the lesson of speaking with a tongue of angels.  I can't remember all the details but Seth who was probably five or six years old kept telling me to...oh, I can't say it..."shut up."   We both knew this word was not okay to say but he wouldn't take it back -- so I did what any big sister should do and punched him in the nose until he repented.  I did feel a little bad about his nose getting all bloody but sometimes lessons just have to be learned, right???

Fast forward twenty-five years and I still hate THAT word and demand that it will not be said in my house.  You can all breathe a sigh of relief as I haven't punched anyone in the nose to teach them the lesson.  We don't say "stupid," "hate," "liar," and "fart."  There's another word that sometimes slips out of one of the kids mouths..."butt."  Now this is really bad.  I prefer bum bum, bottom, gluteus maximus, rump, your other cheeks, etc...  Birch says that "butt" is the proper term and apparently at work he says it ALL THE TIME.  YIKES!!!

So now I must confess.  Just as the kids occasionally use trashy words I have one that floats around my head and sometimes must be used to describe a situation.  The thing is...it's naughty.  It's on my list of potty words.  The word is.....prepare yourself and just open one eye lid so it's not so bad to read..."butt-load."  I would NEVER say it around the children and only in the past year or so have I confessed to Birch that I actually think this word in my head.  But here's the thing; sometimes I go in my room and see a "butt load" of laundry on my bed, or I look out the window and see a "butt load" of kids that are fighting or hungry, or just plain there, or what about the days that the dishes just pile up and there is no better word to describe the mounding dirtiness other than "butt load." Or how about the ever growing pile of bills from Alex's recent surgery...I mean that's a "butt load" of bills for one little surgery.

I should sing a sweet little primary song when this phrase comes to my mind but for now I feel just a tad bit better about sharing my self-indulging naughty word with my readers.  After all admitting is the first step to recovery, right?
 a "butt-load" of laundry


7 comments:

Seth and Caroline said...

not only did you punch me in the face repeatedly, you pinned me to the ground, holding down my frail 4 year old arms with your knee's while you punched me repeatedly in the face. I learned my lesson though and to this day despise that phrase to. I would say on a given day I hear it at least 1- to a butt-load of times and all i want to do is lash out with my fists!

-Seth

Ditto Family said...

Seth, I am comforted to know that you have forgiven me and learned your lesson at the same time.

kg said...

Sara, I am cracking up at this post!! Love it. We also do not say any of the above mentioned words in our home.

kseal said...

Out of the lurking and into the light! This post was awesome and totally hit home for me. Here's my guilty word... http://sealcircus.blogspot.com/2008/03/phraseology.html

Julia said...

You are hilarious. I'm glad to know your guilty secret--I have a butt-load of other words that swirl around my head all the time, but we won't get into that.

Kari said...

I needed a good laugh today! Thankyou Sara

emily a. said...

Oh Sara... this was funny. If only butt were the worst word said in our house.