Monday, November 24, 2014

AGW 2014 Yakima

This year was my year to host AGW (All-Girl's Weekend).  It is always such a treat to be together with my Sister-in-laws and Mother-in-Law.  I was a little nervous to host as I really wanted everyone to have a great time...and then I realized what everyone really wants is to do nothing, eat good, not listen to whinning children, and sleep-in.  Those thoughts consoled me.
Last minute Tavia was not able to come as the roads were great for her to travel on.  We were lucky to have everyone else together!
 My dear friend, Kira Palmer came and taught us all how to make the most amazing Mexican dinner.  The homemade tamales were so yummy!  We did a trade and did a photoshoot for her family and in return Kira did all the meal preparation and brought all the ingredients for this amazing meal.  We had a great time learning and cooking together!





Recipes from the night: 

Here is my all time favorite tamale recipe (and I have tried tons) it is fresh and lighter tasting. I quadruple (or more) the recipeand make an event out of it. I freeze them raw then when I need a no effort meal I can put them on to steam frozen for 2 hours (checking water level every 30 minutes). 

Some variations I like:
-shredded chicken mixed with a little enchilada sauce, strips of carrot, strips of potato
-mix a bit more sugar and a can of well drained crushed pineapple into the dough and wrap for a desert tamale
-fill will apple pie filling and drizzle with caramel sauce for a desert
-cut asaparagus and pepper jack cheese into chunks and mix into dough

Homemade tortillas-
The lard makes them soft and pliable. Make sure to let the dough rest!

This green sauce I LOVE. I cook it down more then they say and use it for enchilada sauce, salsa, or mixed with ranch for a great dressing. 

Homemade beans are easy, cheap, and yummy! Even your pickiest eaters will love these. You can leave the cheese out and they are still good. If you prefer to pressure can some like I brought I am including the pressure canning bean handout on a class I have taught. It is an attachment. 

Carne Asada:
Have the butcher slice a chuck roast thin (maybe 1/8"). Spread the marinade by hand on each piece to be sure you have great coverage. Soak in marinade for a couple hours, up to all day. When you grill it it is ready to flip when you see red seeping up. 
Marinade (blend well):
2 pounds chuck roast sliced thin by butcher
3 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate
6 cloves of garlic
1/3 c cilantro leaves
1/4 c veg oil
1 1/2 Tbsp Chef Merito seasoning (available at Fiesta Foods, Wal-mart, or a mexican grocer)

Fabulous fish and veggie marinade. I add tons of stuff to my fajita veggies: carrots, onions, peppers, parsnips, broccoli, etc etc. Cook at 425 stirring every 15 minutes or so until it looks pretty burned!


 We also enjoyed just laying around!
 Saturday night had a pie cook-off!  As part of my hostess gift I gave each person a glass pie dish.  We had some great creations!!


Okay, so this photo was actually taken a week after AGW because we forgot to take one at my house but this is even better because Tavia is in the picture.  Blayre and Julia are both due with little boys the beginning of January.  Love all these ladies!

No comments: