Saturday, May 6, 2017

Hazel and Ginger Turn ONE!!

I'll try and not leave a sarcastic tone on this post.  Last year for Chloe's birthday she was given a guinea pig.  It was pretty much the best thing that ever happened in her life (outside of going to Hawaii).  Chloe has ALWAYS wanted a pet!

To make a long story short - I decided that I would be supermom and let her have one hamster (I am anti-animals).  I posted on facebook a request for a free hamster cage.  A friend replied that her neighbor had a hamster AND a cage that she wanted to give it to someone.  Sweet, I love FREE!!  I went to go pick up the hamster and cage and was shocked when I saw a HUGE guinea pig.  "Aren't they the same thing?" my friend replied.  The next two days are a bit of a blur as I came home with one guinea pig, swapped it for the other one, and then after a power point presentation by the girls we ended up with two guinea pigs (apparently they are very social animals) and a promise to the original owner that I would never bring them back to her.  Guinea pig #1 (Max) was later buried in our backyard as we learned guinea pigs and heat don't mix.  Fast forward a few months and Hazel was brought home from a rescue home.

I can honestly say that each time I find myself in the pet aisle at Walmart I wonder what has become of me.

This is Chloe almost a year ago when she was given her birthday guinea pig:


This is her facial expression when she asked me, "Is it mine?  How long do I get to keep it?" To which I replied, "until it dies, which hopefully will not take too long."  As prophetic as that was, it didn't really work.

PRESENT DAY:

So Chloe decided that this past Saturday Hazel and Ginger turned one year old.  Chloe has done immense reading about guinea pig care.  She monitors every thing they eat and makes regular fresh salads for them.  So you can imagine her delight when she found a recipe for guinea pig cookies.  She made them 100% on her own.  I believe it was a blended mix of bananas, oats, carrots, and raisins. She baked them, cooled them, and then lit a candle for them.
Hazel on the left and Ginger on the right

Lighting the candle in a bed of lettuce with a cookie on top.

Ginger trying to decide if she is up for trying something new.

Hazel investigating

Yep, Hazel was most appreciative of her birthday treat!
Moral of the story...hum, still working on that one.  I have yet to touch either of them.  They are absolutely not allowed in the house.  They live in the shop and have a rather nice life, if I do say so myself.  Chloe and Alysee take immaculate care of them; in fact, if I were a guinea pig I think I would like Chloe and Alysee to be My Humans.

No comments: