Thursday, January 10, 2008

Update on Birch

This past Monday Birch went with a co-worker snow shoeing. They both had a great time together enjoying a good workout and natures beauty. They ran into this snow covered cabin in the woods.
I love how Birch has really made an effort to keep in shape...it means that he will be around longer to give me massages, travel to warm places together, and enjoy life together.
Birch and his co-worker Eric.
Another long coming project that Birch and I have been working on is our new chore and behavior program. We have found a theory that we think we are really going to like but because of several things it has taken us a long time to get the program up and running. Birch made these boards and my talented sister-in-law did all the vinyl cutting for us. We have bought the chore and behavior cards through the company and have laminated them. Now we just have to hole punch everything and present the program to the kids. I'll let you know his it all works out.
I love this picture because it shows Birch's wonderful disposition with the kids. Look at the smile on his face while he is instructing the kids on proper ginger bread house construction.
Just so you don't think it was only the kids having fun. Birch also had a tough match of boxing against one of his brothers.
For the past several months we have noticed that our mini-van was in need of new shocks. Birch has always liked to do the car maintenance work and I have been grateful for his skill in this area. Unfortunately this story doesn't have such a happy ending. This is Birch doing something with the struts (I think).
Birch started this killer project at 6:30 am in the morning and didn't come to bed until 11:30 pm that night. In the morning I started out being a nice supportive wife knowing that this project was going to consume the morning (that is the time we had estimated for the project) plus it was going to save us about $100.00 from taking it into a quick repair shop.
By the end of the day, I don't think Birch would even have given me a thumbs up. After all the trips to the tool stores to by additional tools not originally projected, borrowing a neighbor's truck to do these trips since the car was not driveable, and then taking the car for a spin at 11:30 pm at night only to hear a clink clink sound. Monday Birch took the car to Les Schwabs where they quickly took the shocks off again (this is the part that took FOREVER for Birch because he didn't have the right air tool thingy) and then tightened a little screw the clink clink was gone. Even though the whole project ended up costing us MORE then if we had hired it out, Birch still claims that it was a good experience and he is glad he now owns a few more tools. In hindsight, I think I would have gone to the store bought him a gift card and then enjoyed the day together as a family. I'll have to remind myself that in the future.

2 comments:

kg said...

Excellent updates Sara....now where are the updates and pics of you? :) Fun to get a piano, do you play? The snow pics are amazing!

emily a. said...

I love that picture of Birch showing the kids how to make the gingerbread house. Love how the kids are all looking at him!