Saturday, June 2, 2007

I Am a Mother

Copyright © 2007 Deseret Book

Former New York Times reporter and Pulitzer Prize nominee Ann Crittenden writes: "Any woman who has devoted herself to raising children has experienced the hollow praise that only thinly conceals smug dismissal. In a culture that measures worth and achievement almost solely in terms of money, the intensive work of rearing responsible adults counts for little. One of the most intriguing questions in economic history is how this came to be; How did the demanding job of rearing a modern child come to be trivialized as baby-sitting? When did caring for children become a ‘labor of love,’ smothered under a blanket of sentimentality that hides its economic importance?"
I AM A MOTHER

4 comments:

Mama Nirvana said...

You are a beautiful mother, and you amaze me every day because of the excellent job that you are doing. So glad that you share it with me through your blog and emails.

Amy

kg said...

And what a great mother you are!!!

Elyse said...

What a beautiful mother of 5!! I am going to look for this book, I haven't had a good one to read in awhile. => We need a Mother Appreciation Society!

Leah said...

Just finished reading it myself. It was great!