For the past fifteen years much of my life has been devoted to volunteering in the kid's classrooms and more often the kid's schools. Much of my efforts have been focused on Summitview Elementary School. This year marks the end of our kids attending SV. I've had the chance to pioneer the first jog-a-thon that has raised over $90,000 in the past six years, put on six open houses with a full dinner for 450 people, years of heading up staff appreciation with lunches and treats all week/month, dances, movie nights, gymnastic plus nights, serving on bond and levy committees, student socials, talent shows, photographing students, spearheading spirit weeks, popping popcorn, designing t-shirts, organizing Silverwood reading rewards, finding volunteers, serving on the PTO/PTA boards, bringing in various assemblies, bingo nights, etc...
I don't share this to brag but really to remind myself of the importance in giving back a little each year in order to brighten my kid's school dreams and lift the loads of others. I've loved feeling like I have been apart of bringing experience to kids that may never have certain opportunities in their lives due to financial woes or trouble homes. I love that I have been a part of my kid's school lives and have gotten to know the staff so well.
The past few years I have taken a step back from serving on the boards but have just volunteered to do events that I enjoy the most. The past two years I have been able to be in charge of the assemblies. I loved the chance to bring unique experiences to a school that has many kids that otherwise wouldn't have had the same opportunities.
 |
| T-shirts I designed and ended up being really popular this year by the staff and students. I spent hours selling, folding, collecting money, etc... but coming to the school every Thursday and seeing all the kids and staff wearing their shirts is pretty rewarding! |
 |
| This is such an undertaking each year but I credit all the massive church dinners I have been able to be in charge of that have taught me how to put on a fabulous entertaining night for 450 people with a yummy dinner. |
 |
| This year I chose to use some of the assembly money to bring hands-on opportunities to the students. I purchased owl pellets for all the students and was able to get some volunteers from the Autobahn Society to come teach a wonderful lesson about owls and then dissect the pellets together. We spent a week going into each classroom and did an hour lesson. It was a long week but really turned out fabulous! |
 |
| The best part of volunteering is getting to see my kids in their element with their friends. Chloe loves having me come to school! |
 |
| I brought in Native American dancers, a ventriloquist that taught about how to be a good friend, and a rainforest animal assembly. |
 |
| This past week I spent a bazillion hours at the school doing art lessons with each class. I was able to find a local artist who taught an art lesson to each class. It was SO much work prepping, teaching, cleaning up, and now I need to put on student name labels and prepare to have the artwork displayed. But hearing the kids rave about how much fun they had or that it was the first time they had every watercolored painted made it all worth it. |
 |
| Chloe was a great helping each morning setting up all the supplies. |
 |
| The kindergartners and first graders had the best time doing some paint art with marbles. |
 |
| And my last hoorah will be putting on the school talent show. This is a first for me but I really wanted the kids to have an opportunity to display their art and since no one volunteered to do the talent show I figured it wouldn't be too painful. We start practices this week so I guess I'll find out soon. |
I just barely help out in the other three schools the kids are at. It's been wonderful to be apart of the community in this way!
No comments:
Post a Comment