Guess I have to eat my words. This past Saturday night Birch and I went to a fun church couples dinner and game night. The table centerpieces were so creative and colorful. They were tall vases with blue rocks on the bottom, four goldfish, and a handful of glow in the dark light sticks. They looked AWESOME (and were really cheap to make)!!!
Anyway, at the end of the evening we were told that we could take home some fishes if we wanted. Our family has had several fish over the past four years and we have always managed to successfully kill them. Sharkbait and Nemo did last for several months. Though one day Sharkbait bit the dust and Alex was so sad because that was his fish and he didn't think it was fair that Nemo was still swimming. We were just leaving on a trip and so to solve the fish babysitting dilemma and the jealously problem--Nemo joined Sharkbait in the land of the sewer system.
Our main problem is that no one seems to enjoy cleaning the fish bowl or feeding the fish on a regular basis--me included. I don't like pets. I despise cats and hate crotch sniffing dogs. I seem to be a pet magnet--somehow my hatred leaks from my pores and all animals gravitate to me (my bed, my crotch, my legs, sitting on me on the couch).
So why would I suggest to Birch that we should bring home four little fishes? SCOUTING!!! It has over taken our lives. One of the electives that Alex can do is take care of a pet (no time frame is required). Being a supportive scouting mom, I of course want Alex to earn as many arrow points as possible. So why not inherit a few more fishes? At least you always know they are going to die. Yes, two of the four were dead in less than one day. For now the kids enjoy "caring" for their pet and mom is happy to know that our pet-free days will soon be here again.
4 comments:
What a kewl fish tank!! Love it. I'd totally get a fish if I had that tank.
Marianne and I feel exactly the same way! We had to laugh at how you verbalized your love for dogs! I don't think we'll have pets in the future.....we'll have enough kids!!
Too funny! Good idea for Alex though. Good luck!
funny--alex
Post a Comment